3.02.2011

I am a culinary goddess. Fact.

So I've completely forgotten about this silly little blog, and I don't think anyone has even read it, so for now I shall treat it as my diary where I keep all my juicy secrets*.

In the month that has elapsed since my first post, I've been to Brussels which was a lot of fun! L was working in Belgium for a couple of weeks and it was decided that I would meet him there for a long weekend. Brussels was exactly what I expected it to be. So I hopped on the Virgin to Euston, walked to Kings Cross and took the afternoon Eurostar to Brussels by way of Lille. The two highlights of the trip were meeting up with L's friends Gary & Stefanie having some fabulous Belgian food (haven't had rabbit in years, sooooo good!) and rounding off the night at a Cuban bar with some killer mojitos that very nearly made us blind :-) There was also the Atomium which was pretty cool, and reaffirmed my love for all things 50s and 60s (we brought back a 1950s SABENA poster... and those who know me well, know I love my vintage travel posters!). L and I also explored the EU Commission buildings and the surrounding parks, and even found ourselves at the Autoworld car museum (L was in his element). We also found a cute little restaurant called Carpe Diem on the corner of Av. de Terveuren and Keltenlaan... it was here I realised that my French isn't as bad as I thought it was *smug*.

St. Pancras International. I absolutely adore this building!

Grande Place 

Top of the Atomium


 Autoworld

Desert at Carpe Diem

Not much has happened since Brussels, I'm still looking for a job, and getting nowhere fast (Frustration is starting to creep in now). Both of my parents now have iPhone 4's which means they are calling me on Facetime on a regular basis which is really cool, I get to see them, and also get to see Wayne, Claire and the kids too which is a major bonus :-)

Lately I've been watching a lot of daytime TV *horror* but it has actually had an unexpected plus, I'm starting to regain my interest in cooking. While I find cooking rather cathartic, I need a recipe to follow and I always follow it to the letter. Today I took the plunge and decided to go into the kitchen and make something I've never made before, without a recipe or any clue as to what I was doing. I pulled out the cupboards and came up with a tuna pasta bake. I have to say I'm quite proud of the result! I did have some transatlantic assistance from a one C. Friend who reminded me to add the tuna to the pasta bake (I was about to put it in the oven sans tuna). 

A spicy tuna pasta bake paired with a 2005 Rioja

If anybody would like the recipe, just ask :-) There were a few moments where it was touch and go whether this was going to be a complete failure or a success. And I'm happy to say that it came out a lot better than expected, and L will be having it for dinner tonight :-)

We're off to Scotland this weekend, which I'm ever so slightly nervous about. I have "Meet The Fockers" in my head... and it also recently dawned on me that I have three mothers-in-law... that has to be a record? Anyhow, more on that at a later date! Its time to get stuck into "Deal or No Deal?" ♥ Noel Edmunds hehe.

Culinary Love!

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment